Monday, March 7, 2011

2 Days in October - Lago di Como

I appreciate your allowing me the detour to France, but now let's return to the excursion on Lago di Como back in October 2008. 



Other than a one-day visit to Stressa on Lago di Maggiore back in the '70's, I have never really been to lake-side locations either in the Americas or in Europe. That trip to Stressa was very beautiful and enjoyable despite being locked in our hotel room for an hour after our arrival. The hotelier had to break down the door to our room and then apologized profusely. That embarrassing situation dissuaded me from thinking of lake vacations until Peter pressed the issue.

Lago di Maggiore is the second largest of the three major lakes of northern Italy. The other two are Lago di Garda, which is the largest lake situated closer to Verona and Venice, and Lago di Como, which like Maggiore is in close proximity to Milan and in the Lombardy region.

As you now know, Peter and I vacationed in Cernobbio a small town approximately 10 minutes by boat from the town of Como, the southern-most town on Lago di Como. The ferries that service Cernobbio only provide local traffic to nearby towns. Therefore, to get to Bellagio and Varenna, two towns of interest, we first had to travel by boat to Como and then transfer to a larger boat for the one hour trip north. We spent two days exploring the lake. One beautifully sunny and the other over-cast, but which rendered delightfully moody atmospheric photographs. Now I don't want you to think we were too lazy to see the other towns on the lake, we also visited the town of Como and made a train trip from Como to Lugano in Switzerland. Photos of those I'll save for another time.



As you can see from the map, the lake trip north only makes a few stops, so it allows for a very relaxing day sitting top-side taking the air and views or sitting inside sipping a proseco. We scheduled our tips to allow us time to have lunch in Bellagio.

So enjoy the ride up and back (twice) from Como to Varenna and the sights in-between. Remember, you can make any photo larger by clicking on it.

Argegno




  Lenno


This delightful structure (I think it may be the Villa del Balbianello) just beyond the dock of Lenno caused all the photographers on board to rush to the side of the ferry. I feared we would capsize, but fortunately, this was off-season. I can only imagine what a mob-scene if would have been with a full-load of tourists.
 
This hotel is at the Lenno dock. There's a story here...I'm just not sure what it is. Project your own story :)

Bellagio

Bellagio has been a world-renown resort town on Lago di Como since the 19th century. I had originally considered taking an apartment here, but I was afraid that there would be too many tourists...which there were...and that it was too remote.






This is the apartment I was considering. Right across from the dock and next to a restaurant.

Varenna


I'm sorry the weather wasn't more pleasant when we visited this town. But because there were clouds and a light drizzle, it felt like we had the town to ourselves. I dropped Peter at a cafe while I walked about taking photos. I met him at the same cafe later where I ordered an espresso with grappa at 11:30AM. It didn't faze the waitress at all, though she may have though I was a little "pazzo". Not "pozzo", at all!






Following are some additional photos taken of unknown towns. I know where they are on the lake, I just can't tell you their names or anything about them. It was 2008 after all.











.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roger, As always, I enjoy reading your posts and viewing your pictures! I am so inspired to just get on a plane and visit these locations, myself! Please keep posting...oh, I like to print some of your pictures as art work for my home:) EJ

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Legend! That picture of the Mansion on the Lake is AMAZING!

Take Care-
Mini Legend

paula said...

Was redirected to these photos by my friend in villefranche and I was absolutely breathless at the beauty of them. Thank you for sharing

Anonymous said...

I must agree. The Mansion on the Lake is breathtaking. And the 1st photo in Varenna should be the setting of a Fairy Tale. I love travelling with you :) DJ

Unknown said...

bravo pour toutes ces tres belles photos

merci de penser à nous

a bientot a Nice

j'espere

bien cordialement

alain

LadyMissDi said...

I love your blog!
Deb describes it perfectly... it is like having a glass of wine with you! OK, maybe two or three...
Keep posting! :)