Saturday, June 11, 2011

Villefranche-sur-mer

Finding that special vacation spot is not as easy as one supposes. Even though the Internet now gives us the opportunity to view thousands of properties, it is still very difficult to envision what your experience will be like from those tiny, grainy, poorly lit and framed photos offered. 

Each spring,  Peter, Lucy, Noemi and I travel to Europe. I had finally persuaded them to try the south of France rather than going to Italy as we had for the past 4 years. We discussed how great it would be if we could find a property with a view of the sea where we could all sit in deck chairs, sip our cocktails and do nothing.  We had spent the previous spring in Manarola in the Cinque Terre, with this fabulous view, so I was challenged to find something equally outstanding but without the 70 steps to get to the apartment.

 

I began my search over the 2009 Thanksgiving holiday. With a glass of red wine at hand, I recall sitting for hours, getting bleary-eyed looking at one property after another. Having only stayed in Nice before, I really didn't have any feel for the other towns along the Cote d'Azur.

I remember my reaction upon seeing this photograph of an apartment in Villefranche-sur-mer. It was love at first sight. I quickly looked for availability and crest-fallen, I was disappointed that the property was not available.

 
http://www.rivieraexperience.com


I continued my Internet search for several weeks thereafter. I looked at more properties, but mentally I compared each new prospect to the dream image I had found that November. By late January, sure that I wouldn't find what I was looking for in France, I prepared to change my search to Italy. Before doing so, I looked one more time at Villefranche-sur-mer.

I'll spare you the details, but ultimately I was able to secure the apartment for one week in April 2010.

Villefranche-sur-mer is delightful and the apartment was superb. The apartment living room opened onto a terrace over-looking the town and St. Jean-Cap Ferrat. My photographic essay begins with views from that terrace and continues down to the town. The town is so photogenic, that I have included more pictures than normal. I hope you will enjoy these images as much as I do.


Slightly after dawn.
Mid-day


The neighborhood cat adds to the view.


Sail boats...

Cruise ships...

and assorted smaller vessels.




A full moon over St. Jean-Cap Ferrat.










 



Please take a look at the web-site for Riviera Experience http://www.rivieraexperience.com for accommodations and great information on Villefranche-sur-mer and the surrounding Cote d'Azur area.



7 comments:

Tom said...

Your photographs are always beautiful and this is no exception. Thanks for sharing them! Love, Tom.

PierPaolo said...

nice foto ...... there are a beatiful place in franche i know only paris and normandia. Villefranche it's a good idea for next holiday. my compliments for the foto. ciao

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and a fantastic reminder of the great time my wife and I had in Villefranche-sur-mer.

Anonymous said...

Roger...As always, I am loving your written & photo narration. I mentioned that I would like to take a trip to France in the near future, so I will be checking out the rates for apartment rentals in Villefranche-sur-mer...Au Revior, EJ

Anonymous said...

I remember when you went on this vacation. I loved the photos then, and still love them. Thank you for sharing, they're breathtaking.
Deb

Karen said...

Roger,

It just does not get any better. Your inviting photos and narrative take me away.
Karen

Anonymous said...

Will make sure to take Romain to Villefranche before the end of the trip. A bientot