Sunday, February 20, 2011

A walk from Nice to Villefranche-sur-mer


A Port du Nice building facade.



I had planned that my next posting would be a further exploration of Lago di Como. However, today I want to make a detour back to Nice, France. This week I was inspired by a posting on the Riviera Experience Blog entitled A Winter's Walk on St. Jean Cap Ferrat. Shelley Dobyns created this blog to promote both the town of Villefranche-sur-mer and the wonderful nearby sights and attractions and her rental business Riviera Experience. I had the pleasure of meeting Shelley last April when Peter and I rented one of her beautiful properties, but I'll share more about our stay in Villefranche at a later date. Shelley's walk around Cap Ferrat reminded me of a walk I made from the Port of Nice to Villefranche last November.


l'eglise Notre Dame du port

During my stay in Nice, I made daily trips to the port to enjoy Evelyne Nabet's singing and hospitality at Le New Eve Cafe located at 7 rue fodéré, derrière l'église Notre Dame du port (behind the port church).

Peter and I had the pleasure of hearing Evelyne la Divine, as she is affectionately referred to by her many admirers in Nice, in October 2006 when she was performing at the open-air Fête patronale de la Ville de Nice Sainte Réparate. (Festival of the patron saint of Nice).
We loved her voice. So we introduced ourselves and we were able to get a copy of Evelyne's CD Et Maintenant. When she began singing again, she dedicated the song New York, New York to us. Later, reading the CD's liner notes we discovered that Evelyne had sung for many years (15 years to be exact) in the lounge of the Hotel Meridien in Nice. 

I knew nothing more of Evelyne until I started planning for my trip to Nice this past October. I found Evelyne on Facebook and from there learned that she and her husband Max had opened Le New Eve Cafe, where she entertains nightly. I am pleased to say that I have gotten to know Evelyne well enough that I could finally tell her that I was not overly fond of New York, New York. When I am in the cafe she performs New York State of Mind to my great pleasure.

Anyway, on November 29 instead of going to the cafe, I decided to further investigate the port. What was meant to be a tour of this area ended up be a meandering 3 mile walk from Nice to Villefranche. Fortunately, the walk was mostly over a flat route but with spectacular views and ended at a bus stop in Villefranche where I quickly caught a bus back to Nice. I don't recall, but I probably ended up at Le New Eve Cafe.

I've illustrated my walk below and have marked areas that correspond to the photos taken.


My tour starts at the port. The first photo shows the west or Nice side of Basin Lympia, as the port is known. The next photo shows the east side of the port which is beneath Mont Boron and the direction of Villefranche. 





The following five photos represent the cluster of five points on the map.

After leaving the town portion of the port, I came to the Boulevard Franck Pilatte. I found a concession stand selling Pan Bagnat (a crusty pressed roll, stuffed with tuna, olives, peppers, onions, salad and olive oil). I ate my sandwich on a sun-drenched bench facing the Mediterranean Sea. After my lunch I continued my walk and came upon the legendary La Réserve an 1876 belle époque building which now houses one of Nice's finest restaurants. I have to take the reviews at face value, as I have never eaten there. Too trendy and tres cher for me. I can't find much history on the strange structures to the right of the building, but this image of an old poster shows that these may have been a gazebo and ship follie.
On the other side of La Reserve, there were fantastic rock formations. At first I didn't see how this young man had managed to find such a great vantage point. I soon found his entry and an interesting photo composition as well.



 

From this spot there was an extraordinary view of Vieux Nice, the hills above, the mountains above them and the snow-covered pre-Alps in the far distance.  


I headed up Avenue Jean Lorraine towards the Boulevard Carnot also known as the Base Corniche. This area was full of beautiful houses, like this one, that even in November were covered in blooming flowers. Don't ask...I don't know what kind; maybe bougainvilea?


At the top of the Avenue at the intersection of Boulevard Carot, this sprawling house that I believe is the Chateau de l'Anglais had the most interesting minarets. Unfortunately, the tall stone fench surrounding the property kept me from getting any better shots.

Turning right onto the Boulevard Carnot, I continued walking with the intention of stopping at the Carrefour market to find that night's dinner, but the road at this point becomes Boulevard Princess Grace de Monaco. Who could resist walking along this stretch which has wonderful sea views. As I rounded the base of Mont Boron, I began to see these views of  St.-Jean-Cap-Ferrat.



Usually when taking multiple photographs during the course of a day, I instinctively know my favorite.
This was today's.


By this point I was too far from Nice to turn back and to close to Villefranche not to continue. Making the turn towards the town, I passed this interesting gate high above the harbor. I love the graphic on the stone post. On the other side of the gate there was no where to go, but down!



Coming into the final stretch, the Christmas decorations indicated the edge of the town proper and this great advertisement with cockroach parked below (I mean motor scooter of course). I would have gladly taken the scooter to get back, but just down the street was the bus stop for the return trip to Nice.

The bus ride back cost one Euro.

The walk from Nice to Villefranche was priceless!


Villefranche is beautiful and extremely photogenic. I hope you enjoy Shelley's blog and her pictures of the town and area. After we return to Lago di Como, I'll come back again to France and share my photos of Villefranche too.








4 comments:

joanne said...

Fantastic!!

Your stories and details surrounding your photos truly bring another dimension to the beautiful cities of Europe. Keep them coming.I love it.

Bravo!

Roger Williams said...

Thank you Joanne. There is no sense of my taking photos of these destinations if I don't share them with others. Another great quote by Ansel Adams: There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.

Anonymous said...

Next time in town will make sure to take that wok.....you sure inspired me.

LadyMissDi said...

I love your blog and your pictures are gorgeous! I enjoy traveling through your eyes!!